The Goal!

I'm certain we're not the only ones. Perhaps, you too, set goals for your kids. Our boys are at an age where they're not quite aware that we have goals for them. That we sit and chat in the evening on how they're doing. What new beautiful things we see budding in them, what opportunities we'd love to give them that would foster growth, and just how they're growing so fast! Most days, lately, I can hardly keep up with my visioning and praying for them. They're moving forward quicker than I can bathe them in prayer. It seems to just be a spit wash of the face as they're running out the door.

I love our Big Boy. He's never far from an invention. Always thinking. And has a smile as wide as the ocean. He's funny when you least expect it. And witty beyond measure. He's sensitive and kind. He's full of thoughts and questions. He prefers intimate relationship over loud parties. He has fun by watching, not always doing. He dislikes performing when commanded. Loves to chat about animals, space, and brain-stumping questions.

He's good at soccer.

At home.

Our goal for him in signing up for a soccer team really had little to do with him as a soccer player, but more him as a boy. His heart, his character. We think he's great. But sometimes he's not so sure. The crowds, the cheering, the expectation...it all becomes too much for him. For 3 weeks now, he's been practically on the verge of tears before the game. He's grumpy and complaining all that he dislikes about playing soccer. All reasons which really have nothing to do with actually playing soccer. All reasons which are why we signed him up for soccer.

Saturday was here again. Game at 12:45pm. The complaining began. I listened. Then hugged. Told him we're going to go. It's going to be lots of fun. Reminded him of last week's game and how much fun he said he had when it was done. He complained more. Told me of his nervous stomachache. I hugged more. Listened. Then we left.

I noticed during the game he was more relaxed than ever. As if he was finally trusting himself and believing what we have been telling him: "Have fun! It's really no big deal. You're going to do great."

He did it. He had fun. He laughed with his friends. He actually moved his arms while running. No nail biting. Strong kicks. Long dribbles.

And a goal.

He made a goal.

My heart is hesitant all the sudden. I'm making a big deal out of a goal at a 5 year old soccer game. They don't keep score. They don't even have goalies. But for my Big Boy. For us. This was not a soccer goal of skill to cheer. This was a goal of the heart.

And he made it!

Comments

  1. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is all I can say! :) well, other than wish we were there to watch and cheer Big Boy on! We could even watch with Binocolars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post and your writing. Love how much you love your boys. Hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart cheers along!! A victory of the heart- What a great thing. A pattern is beginning in his little heart that time and time again he will repeat so that when he grows to be a man he will know he has what it takes. God is so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I've so been there. I remember one basketball tournament where I prayed so fervently for my boy to 1) get the opportunity to play and 2) score. It had been a long season full of much drama yet the Lord saw fit to answer both prayers. True, he only scored 1 point on a free throw but still, it was enough. The Lord is good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Love hearing from you.

Popular Posts